Sunday 3 May 2015

The Ciné File Vol. 29

Given the fact that most of the films this week are repeat viewings, this post is more of a collection of short opinion pieces than full reviews: I don't see any point in repeating myself unnecessarily!

I'm still riding an Avengers high - surprise, surprise - and I'm steadily working my way through Modern Family. It's not been a particularly ground-breaking week for film and television, but it's not been a waste either!




AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
* * * * *
2015 // In U.K. cinemas now

"When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and it is up to the Avengers to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans."

(IMAGES SOURCED FROM www.imdb.com)

Again, I know! I'm obsessed! I still love it even on the third viewing, and if anything I think it's just getting better. I've read lots of reviews of Age of Ultron this week following its release in America, and although I stand by my glowing 5* review from last week, I can completely understand why the majority of critics aren't quite so complimentary. Yes, it definitely has its faults, and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if you're sick of Marvel and superheroes, but I just love it. In this instance I'm not prepared to be neutral in a review and instead unashamedly indulge my complete adoration for the studio and the comics and allow my assessment of the film to reflect this.

I can't get over how cool Paul Bettany's Vision is. No spoilers here of course, but see the film and you'll know what I mean. I had no idea how ludicrous his backstory in the comics is, but The Hollywood Reporter collated it all in an article here which is well worth a read if you're nerdy like me and want to know more. I want to see Age of Ultron again: is that wrong?!


WOMAN IN GOLD
* * *
2015 // In U.K. cinemas now

"Maria Altmann, an octogenarian Jewish refugee, takes on the Austrian government to recover artwork she believes rightfully belongs to her family."


The ending is a sort of foregone conclusion from the beginning, but the journey to reach it is enjoyable nonetheless, and although it may be ridiculously schmaltzy at times the wonderful Helen Mirren ensures it never truly loses its way. Based on the true story of Maria Altmann (Helen Mirren), Woman in Gold traces her legal battle with the Austrian government to reclaim several Klimt paintings, including the world famous portrait of her aunt known as 'Woman in Gold' - artwork rightfully belonging to her family but stolen by the Nazis and displayed in the Belvedere Gallery in Vienna when her Jewish family fled the country.

A story of this nature could have either fallen victim to being too dry or too overly emotional, but thankfully director Simon Curtis keeps the pace whilst tugging appropriately at the audience's heartstrings. Mirren's gentle humour elevates every scene she's in, and she makes a great double act with Ryan Reynolds (playing Randy Schoenberg, the family friend roped into taking on Altmann's case). While the courtroom scenes are ultimately where the action is supposed to lie, capitalising on Mirren's star-power and the David and Goliath battle between a little old woman and an entire country, it's in the flashbacks that Woman in Gold triumphs. The audience is almost spoon-fed deliberately stirring and emotional scenes of Nazi-occupied Austria and Jewish persecution to clearly drive home why Altmann fled to America with her husband under such harrowing circumstances. But rather than being over-the-top they're subtly brilliant, mostly due to the fantastic Tatiana Maslany as a young Maria. The scenes are in German with English subtitles (major points from me here: no silly accents!) and they break up the modern-day court scenes perfectly.

It is all rather calculated and shamelessly sentimental, but it's still a good fictionalised account of a remarkable true story.


CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
* * * *
Netflix // 2011 // DVD

"Steve Rogers, a rejected military soldier transforms into Captain America after taking a dose of a "Super-Soldier serum". But being Captain America comes at a price as he attempts to take down a war monger and a terrorist organization."


Captain America: The First Avenger has turned into my go-to background film: the one I put on while I'm baking, tidying or fighting through piles of admin so that I'm not working in silence. I've now seen it so many times I don't have to sit and watch it and instead can dip in and out of it and not worry that I've missed anything. I think I can even quotes large sections of it now too...

Despite loathing it with a passion for a couple of years my opinion has now totally changed and I adore it. It's cheesy; so patriotic that it's unintentionally funny; and just enormous fun to watch. Plus, it introduces the world to a truly strong and dynamic female character in the wonderful Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell). She's so great that Marvel gave her her own 8-part television series, Agent Carter, and while it's not been picked up by a British network yet I have every hope that it will be soon! From the snippets I've seen online and the numerous articles and reviews it looks brilliant, so come on Marvel! Get your act together!


ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES
* * *
Sky Movies // 2014 // DVD

"With the 70s behind him, San Diego's top rated newsman, Ron Burgundy, returns to take New York's first 24-hour news channel by storm."


I have a confession: I don't like Anchorman. I don't find it funny at all, but felt The Legend Continues was worth a second chance when I saw it was showing on Sky Movies this week. It's not as bad as I remembered, but I'm still not converted, sorry!

It's more than obvious why others like it: the jokes come thick and fast throughout, and Will Ferrell et al are on top form once again with expert comedic timing and a confidence that - admittedly - is well deserved after the success of the first film. Overall I wasn't particularly impressed again, although the news team fight featuring cameos from hundreds of wonderful comedy actors is pretty spectacular indeed.

MODERN FAMILY
* * * * *
Series 1-5 Box Sets currently available on Sky on Demand // DVD
Series 6 on Sky 1 now

"Three different, but related families face trials and tribulations in their own uniquely comedic ways."


The reason why my film-watching has dropped slightly over the last few weeks is because I'm knee-deep into my latest television obsession: Modern Family. It's so easy to watch and so, so funny that I can't believe it's taken me so long to finally get on board. Only a few more series to go before I'm caught up...


So do you plan on seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron this Bank Holiday or are you avoiding it like the plague? My Coming Soon post went live a few days ago too, so if you're unsure what to watch this month (and this weekend!) then it'll hopefully help! Do let me know what you plan on seeing int he comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig