Monday 23 September 2013

Primetime Emmy Awards 2013 Best Dressed

Television really is having a moment.

I normally merely have a passing flirtation with television shows and can take them or leave them, only choosing to mildly obsess over Downton Abbey or Grey's Anatomy or Sherlock, and occasionally indulging in the odd mini-series. I don't watch many shows - helped by my lack of a TV - and have long since accepted that I'm in a long term relationship with films. Recently, however, thanks to an obsession with Breaking Bad akin to the effects of meth onscreen I've become more and more aware of, and interested in, the television world. It may just be because I'm suddenly more attuned to it, but it seems to me that television is better than it's ever been. The calibre of acting, editing and directing has sky-rocketed, and I'm continually having to re-revaluate my preference for film over television in the face of overwhelmingly stunning shows.




Last night saw America host the 65th Annual Emmy Awards. I managed to follow the progress of the awards via Twitter and BuzzFeed, and from what I can tell it was a bit of an odd evening. Pre-show predications were turned on their head, most notably with Jeff Daniels winning over Bryan Cranston (who should be a shoo-in for the award next year following the final season of Breaking Bad). All in all, every few minutes seemed to warrant a massive explosion of WTF?!!! tweets on my feed. It was a disappointing night for the Brits too, with only Abi Morgan triumphing with Outstanding Writing for The Hour.

In some respects, it may be a good thing that for once one show didn't sweep up all the awards. This year celebrated a variety of performances and bestowed the accolades on the unexpected and undoubtedly deserving. If anything, last night has thrown up more shows that I feel I should be watching such that I'll be putting my Netflix account to good use over the coming months.

However it's no surprise that the fashion on the red carpet was as fabulous as ever.

My Best Dressed of the evening was the beautiful Claire Danes, who wore a nude Armani Prive A/W '13 gown. with Neil Lane jewellery and a Tod's clutch. She simply oozes old-school glamour and always looks effortlessly at home on the red carpet. Collecting the award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her portrayal of Carrie Mathison in Homeland once again, it seems Danes can do no wrong. Totally love her.

CLAIRE DANES
Armani Prive


KERRY WASHINGTON
Marchesa


KATE MARA
J. Mendel


ZOOEY DESCHANEL
J. Mendel


ROSE BRYNE
Calvin Klein Collection


Although I'm personally more of a fan of softer tones and sleeker silhouettes, there were a number of bold choices that were certainly worthy of a place on my Best Dressed!

MICHELLE DOCKERY
Prada


CAT DEELEY
Armani


TINA FEY
Narciso Rodriguez


AMY POEHLER
Basler


LENA HEADLEY
Alessandra Rich


These ladies sucessfully delivered the message that dressing age-appropriately has also never looked so chic... Let's hope this bodes well for the future, and there's no twerking in PVC with foam fingers for these girls...

KIERNAN SHIPKA
Delpozo


MORGAN SAYLOR
Honor


[All photos sourced from vogue.co.uk]

Lots of J. Mendel and Armani and lots of simple column dresses and classic make-up. Personally I love this move away from the more revealing and outlandish looks that have been creeping onto the red carpet. This return to the classic and elegant seems fitting given television's meteoric rise.

Now I'm off to binge-watch more Breaking Bad before work. Sorry but I'm just not sorry...bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig