Saturday 6 October 2012

The Pudding Club

On the first Monday of every month, Willington Hall in Cheshire hosts its very own Pudding Club. My mum and her friends are devoted fans and whenever I’m home from university I’ll make sure to schedule at least one visit in. If you’re based in Cheshire, love desserts and are partial to beautiful scenery then this is the perfect lunchtime treat for you.




Willington Hall is situated in the heart of Cheshire, surrounded by picturesque countryside (which even I can appreciate). It boasts a fantastic restaurant, The Gainsborough, which is open at both lunchtime and in the evening; along with afternoon tea and traditional bar meals. It is also a hotel and as a result picnic hampers are available for keen hikers eager to explore Cheshire with a glass of bubbly in hand. I had my 16th Birthday Party here with a couple of friends and just adore coming back, be it for a girly lunch, a trip to the Pudding Club or just an excuse to check out the helipad once more.


With the Pudding Club, upon arrival you’re greeted with a glass of Pimms or Bucks Fizz and directed towards the bar where you’re seated with a menu, and given the opportunity to soak up the wood panelling, paintings and teasing views from the windows of the stunning countryside while you chose a main course, which is normally chicken or salmon both of which come with seasonal vegetables.


You’re moved into the main dining hall, plied with wine and served your main course. At this point, my mum and I are always eying up the large empty table that we know will begin to fill with puddings: at the Pudding Club dessert is a buffet of delicious puddings which you can keep attacking as many times as you like. It’s like Hogwarts: the plates are magically refilled every time they run out so you’re never short of your favourite. Sound like heaven? Well trust me, it really is.


This was the last of the summer puddings, and for the next few months the puddings will change to traditional winter treats, such as spotted dick and sticky toffee pudding, all served with lashings of custard. This time, however, the table began to fill with summery delights, all beautifully presented and absolutely to die for.


When we went in September, for some reason it was really quiet so I had the perfect excuse to whip out my camera and start snapping pictures of everything in sight! We got to the table quickly so I could be a good little blogger and have an impromptu photo-shoot, but also to beat the hordes of pensioners that were stalking towards the desserts!

One thing we’ve learnt is that you only need a small portion of each pudding on offer. They’re generally quite rich and very filling, so it’s best to just try a little bit and then go back for more of the one(s) you liked the best. I’ll never forget going with Nanny and watching her pile her plate high despite our warnings not to, only for her to pick at each different pudding and fill up in double quick time!

On offer this month was:

Mixed Fruit Pavlova


Chocolate Log


Almond Fruit Jellies


Apple and Marmalade Tart


Blueberry Custard Fool with a Blueberry Shortbread Round


Oh my days. I can’t quite express how amazing they all were! I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Apple and Marmalade Tart, but the Pavlova and Chocolate Log were insane. My personal favourite had to be the Blueberry Custard Fool: it was light, creamy and the shortbread just melted in your mouth. If I hadn’t been so full after trying a little of each I’d have definitely followed in the footsteps of everyone else around me and gone back for another! As I said you can keep going back as many times as you like which is ideal for anyone with a sweet tooth.

For £15 per person this really is a steal. I can’t recommend it enough: the food is delicious, the staff are lovely and if you go on a warm day like we did, then a stroll around the gardens afterwards to walk off some of the calories is the perfect end to the meal.




You can book a table at Willington Hall by calling 01829 752321. I assume the next Pudding Club is in November, so if you’re interested then give them a call and if you go then let me know how you get on! Due to my timetable it’s unlikely I’ll be able to go again till after Christmas, but I’m already looking forward to my next visit. I wonder what mouth-watering desserts they’ll serve next?!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma, this is Simon Begbie from Willington Hall. I was absolutely delighted to read this post about our Pudding Lunch, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your last visit, hopefully we'll see you soon.
    Kind regards
    Simon

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig