Saturday 4 August 2012

Rocky Road

I haven’t baked anything for at least a week (which for me feels like forever while I’m at home) so felt like some time in the kitchen soon was well overdue. Today I wasn’t in the mood to do anything complicated, but wanted to at least do something, eventually settling on the quickest and easiest recipe I know: extremely chocolaty and scarily calorific Rocky Road.




I can’t say it was an afternoon spent baking as there’s literally no baking required, so this is the perfect recipe for those who can burn water and don’t like switching the oven on! The original recipe is from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, but having made it so many times I’ve adapted it slightly. I’ve also halved the quantities for the ingredients: the original produces literally trays and trays which is quite frankly too much even for the biggest Rocky Road fans!

So, if you’re in the mood for a chocolate coma (make sure you don’t count the calories: it’ll scare you too much…), then follow the instructions below: you won’t be disappointed...

Ingredients:
700g milk chocolate (for extra indulgence use Cadbury’s or other branded chocolate. I just use cooking chocolate from Aldi as it’s the cheapest:after all, you’re using a lot of it!)
4 full size chocolate bars, chopped. I usually use a combination of Mars/Snickers/Crunchie: whichever’s on offer at the supermarket, but gooey one work best.
50g Maltesers
50g sultanas/raisins
50g mini marshmallows
50g cornflakes (which I forgot this time: epic fail!)


Method:

It’s so simple to make it’s not even funny. Melt the milk chocolate, and then add the rest of the ingredients. Boom.





Once the mixture is complete, spoon into a tray lined with cling-film and place into the fridge until set. Every time I’ve made this before, I’ve used baking trays lined with cling-film, but this time I used a 12-hole brownie tin, as I felt individual portions would be easier to serve than trying to cut the trays of Rocky Road as no knife sharp enough seems to make the challenge of cutting it any easier!


Et voila: your Rocky Road is complete!



This recipe is fabulous as it’s so open to personal preference. The original from The Hummingbird Bakery had apricots as well, and I’d imagine any other dried fruit would work too. Basically, as long as you follow the core recipe and weight-ratios then it’s up to you: get experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig