Tuesday 25 April 2017

Transformation Tuesday: Week 148

I've been discharged!



As I've mentioned previously, I had my final check up at the weekend. I was in and out in less than five minutes, during which time my surgeon had a quick look at everything, couldn't stop saying how proud he was, and then sent me on my way. I sort of hoped I'd have a little longer to ask a few questions and almost savour the last appointment, but it was all over so quickly I didn't have much time to say anything at all! So, that's it... I'm fully healed - no more gaping wounds, no need for a constant supply of dressings and no more trips to the hospital in a minor panic. Hooray!


It's taken a bit longer than I would have liked, but I don't think I can complain at the result. My incisions are fading fast - and in some places have disappeared completely - and aside from an angry red scar under my left boob you can barely tell I've bee under the knife. Now that everything's settled my hip bones have made their first ever proper appearance, not wearing a bra doesn't make me cry with pain any more, and the line down the middle of my abs is becoming more pronounced as the weeks go on. It's taking my head a while to catch up as my muscle memory still has me moving in ways to specifically accommodate my skin - for example my hands still automatically go to hold it out of the way and embarrassingly flail around when I realise there's now nothing to move - but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. In many ways I can't believe I lived with it for so long before having the operation. I can still vividly remember how demoralising and awful it felt to live with it, and as such I feel like I'm living in a completely different body now - a lifetime of weight and skin problems made them seem normal, and this is eye-opening to see that it wasn't at all.

(GIF SOURCED FROM www.giphy.com)

In my first ever Transformation Tuesday post I compared being overweight to a scene in My Mad Fat Diary where Rae unzips the back of her body and steps out as if from a fat suit. At the time I described it in the past tense but really wanted nothing more than to do that myself at the time, but now it's as if I've actually shed a fat suit and I'm walking around in the thinner, ( normally fictitious) version of myself. It's pretty bizarre to be at this stage at last - I never anticipated getting to the 'after' body - but it's definitely been a long time coming.

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.instagram.com/teaseandtotes)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - I'm still a work in progress! However, I think it's safe to say that this chapter of loose skin and surgery is finally over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig