Thursday 21 August 2014

Technical Thursday: Paul's Ciabatta

I'm notoriously bad at making bread.

I don't have the patience to tolerate proving, hate getting covered in dough when kneading, and am really, really good at even screwing up making bread in a bread maker. I actively avoid doing it, so massively dreaded the Technical Challenge on this week's GBBO: Bread Week.

However, I persevered and my attempt at Paul Hollywood's Ciabatta has made me completely reconsider my previous misgivings. I don't think I've ever been prouder of a first attempt at a recipe, and the fact that it's for a loaf of bread makes me even happier!


The recipe - which makes four loaves - can be found in the new GBBO book here, and below with my notes.

Ingredients:

500g strong white bread flour
10g salt
10g fast-action dried yeast
440ml cold water
Flour and semolina, for dusting


Method:

Put the flour, salt and yeast in a free-standing electric mixer with a dough hook, making sure you don't put the salt directly on top of the yeast.


Add three-quarters of the water, then begin mixing on a slow speed.



As the dough starts to come together, slowly add the rest of the water. Then mix the dough for a further 5-8 minutes on a medium speed until it is smooth and stretchy.


The recipe now calls for a 3-litre square plastic container with a lid. Unsurprisingly I didn't have one of these very specifically shaped boxes just lying around, but I found a 5-litre one for £2 on a quick trip to Asda, which turned out to be the perfect size. Apparently it's important to use a square tub as it helps shape the dough.


Lightly oil the plastic container.


Tip the dough into the oiled container and seal with the lid. Leave for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours until at least doubled or even trebled in size.


Now is the time to be patient, and trust me, it pays off!

(IMAGE SOURCED FROM www.twitter.com/BritishBakeOff)

I did the washing up, made cheese straws and watched a chunk of Bridesmaids before looking up an hour later to see this:


Dust your baking trays with a mixture of flour and semolina. Also heavily dust your worktop with the same mixture.


Carefully tip out the dough (it will be very wet), trying to retain a rough square shape. Mine spread to more of a circle, but never mind! Handle it extremely gently so as not to knock any of the air out of the dough.


Coat the top of the dough with more flour and/or semolina.


Cut the dough into quarters. Mine were really uneven - resulting in one massive loaf and one pretty small one - so try to be as accurate as possible.


Stretch each piece of dough slightly into more of a rectangle and place onto the prepared baking trays. Leave the ciabatta to rest for 30-45 minutes.


Heat your oven to 220C / 425F / gas 7. Bake the ciabatta loaves for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack.


They're not exactly uniform size but the magic happens when you cut them open.



I'm not ashamed to admit I'm incredibly proud of these! There's definitely room for improvement, but I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt. I was really naughty and tried a few bites dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and was massively impressed. My fear of making bread is over, so now I just need to pick my next doughy challenge!



Has anyone else tried this week's Technical Challenge? Let me know if you have and how you got on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig